28.5.13

[vague thoughts]

It is so cold.
The wind is once again charging through Wellington, finding her way in to the tiniest cracks and crevices. Fingers retreat in to jacket sleeves. Chins burrow in to scarves and collars. Palms are warmed against the ceramic sides of a coffee mug. 


I am both anxious and ecstatic  I am in the midst of many assessments, and have never been particularly good at managing stress in such times. Also, I am at the point where I sleep with 4 blankets on my bed, and it's so cold that I never want to get out of bed in the morning. On the other hand, my sister is moving down to Wellington for 5 months to go to the NZ Police training college. Reunited once again! 

I find the idea of my sister living close by (compared to the previous 7 hour drive, a train ride to Porirua is an improvement) and becoming a part of my life so exciting, but also somewhat entertaining; I love that she will have to opportunity to get to know my flatmates, to come over for dinner and be a part of our community. However, I am struck by a tension regarding my sister who is going to be a police officer, contrasted with my friends and acquaintances at Stillwaters. I grew up with a very middle-class understanding of the police as a group to be trusted and relied on for protection. Despite this, given the various vague criminal connections of many of the people are a part of the wider community of Stillwaters and my brief soiree at Law school, in the last few years I have developed something of a cynical view of the Police and the role they play in a fundamentally flawed bureaucratic legal system. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the need for the law, and I think that many police are amazingly courageous, hard-working and well-meaning individuals. I am, however, not so understanding of a legal system that perpetuates institutional racism and ideals of punitive justice. So, in light of this, I am (perhaps naively) hoping that through my sisters own experiences in the police with restore some of my faith in the people who enforce New Zealand's law. 

Nonetheless, I am so proud of her! And looking forward to introducing her to my favourite parts of this beautiful city that, at the moment, is enveloped in the icy breathe of the Southerly.


p.s. I am currently writing a reflective essay on my experiences of sexuality as both a Christian and a feminist for one of my papers. I am planning on posting a short version up here when it is finished...just to get you'se all waiting on the edges of your seats in suspense!

No comments:

Post a Comment