26.10.12

{praise at all times}

The last few weeks in this big yellow house on the edge of the city have been humbling.

At the end of September a bouncy castle is erected in front of our house on the sidewalk. Kids laugh and fly from side to side. Bunting blows in the Wellington wind against the brightly painted walls of the Castle and people sit on couches in the sun, laughing and celebrating the 21 years we have been together. We eat, and we talk. People jam in to the community room downstairs and listen to stories of redemption and love, and I am aware of how blessed we are to be together in our brokenness.


At the beginning of October, we are gathered again. But this time, in mourning and celebration. Colourful leis decorate our home and colourful words decorate the casket. In the sunshine we walk, bearing her load, across the road to say goodbye. The road workers stop and watch, silently respectful. We sing E Te Aroha and we weep. We pray, and once again people jam in to the community room downstairs and listen to stories of redemption and love, and I am aware of how blessed we are to be together in our brokenness.


This week, I have been challenged to think about how I serve others. There is a member of our community who is staying with us. They are facing their fears, as we all do. And God has been challenging me to love more. To be better, for this person. I cannot fix these problems, and I cannot allay the fears. I wish I could! But I can listen and I can support, if I trust in God. My first exam for the end of the year is tomorrow. I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little stressed. But what I am mostly feeling is gratitude. I am so grateful that God has blessed me with the opportunity to be sitting these exams when I know people who have spent their life not being able to read. I am so grateful that God has blessed me with this whānau who slip chocolate under my door when they know I've have a rough day. I am so grateful that God is passionate enough about injustice and the poor that He uses little old me in small ways. I am so grateful that in these times God strengthens our relationships and reminds us that we are strongest when we are together. And I am so grateful that He is in me, strengthening me when I feel worn out, lifting me up when my heart breaks, reminding me that for all the pain in the world, He is constantly loving and redeeming us.


That is what I have learnt in this crazy month. Praise God in all seasons. Praise God, for He is glorified every day, and He is our Hope. 



My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; 
I will sing and make music. 
Awake, my soulAwake, harp and lyre
I will awaken the dawn. I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; 
I will sing of you among the peoples. 
For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth. (Psalm 57)











1 comment:

  1. Lovely Livi, this made me teary! Beautiful written. I love your heart and your mind.

    ReplyDelete